Stating the obvious: people are obsessed with pumpkin flavored shit. Have you seen the bounty of pumpkin options at Trader Joe’s as of late? The pumpkin toaster pastries admittedly tempt me but does the world really need pumpkin croutons?
I jumped on the bandwagon like the basic-whitegirl-in-denial that I am and crafted a couple pumpkin drink options this week. Both were pretty good. Better than a Starbuck’s PSL which I think taste like soap.
Pumpkin Coffee Drink* (PSL if you must)
- Amount of coffee or espresso of your choice (I used about a cup of coffee)
- ½-1 cup dairy product of your choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- About ½ cup canned pumpkin (you could probably omit this-the spices are what bring the flavor. But I needed to get through the can of pumpkin I opened, YOLO, etc.)
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Roughly ½ tsp. pumpkin spice OR roughly ½ tsp. cinnamon, ¼ tsp. nutmeg, small pinch ground cloves (I went this route and I eyeballed these amounts)
- Optional: sweetener (I used a stevia packet)
Heat the dairy and pumpkin on the stovetop or in the microwave, unless you want an iced drink. Stir in the seasonings to dissolve.
Combine with the coffee/espresso in a blender, or just stir/whisk together.
*Adapted from The Skinny Confidential
I breakfasted on smoothies all summer and am not quite ready to say goodbye yet. This provides a nice transition to oatmeal season.
Blend these together:
- ½ cup water or dairy (I used almond milk)
- ½ cup ish canned pumpkin
- Frozen, or non frozen, banana
- Generous amount cinnamon
- Optional: yogurt and/or raw cashews for more creaminess and protein